Monday 29 September 2014

Sweet Treats

This weekend was a very busy one in my little kitchen, and rather successful (if I do say so myself).

First up, I had an order for two dozen cupcakes.  The brief:  vanilla cupcakes, lime green and lemon yellow icing, with little decorations appropriate for a kitchen tea.

The outcome: these beauties right here.


I'm so in love with the pale shades of green and yellow, along with the pastels of the decorations and chocolate hearts.  Very happy with the outcome, and have had great feedback from the Kitchen Tea.



My second mission for the weekend: a Dinosaur Cake!

I was contacted by a mom for a dinosaur inspired birthday cake for a little boy turning 5.  So I sent her some pictures of cakes that I could make, and which she showed her son and let him choose which one he liked best.  I just love this approach, as my brothers and I were always allowed to choose our own cakes as kids.  I still remember going through the books and pictures with such thought and deliberation.  They were such special times.  The little boy chose the simplest of the cakes, but for good reason, this one had toy dinosaurs on it, which he could keep and play with afterwards... Clever little chap!

I was rather excited to make this cake, as there were lots of elements to it, and I love to play around with different textures and icing techniques.  And I must say, I was thrilled with the result.



This just shows how with a little effort, a simple, roughly iced cake, can become a dinosaur heaven.  I was thankful to have most of Saturday to work on this cake.  Often I end up working late into a Friday night to have cakes ready by the morning.  I get tired, and frustrated so much more quickly, and this makes me clumsy.  But  I had a really relaxed day, getting all the bits and pieces ready, while allowing the cakes to cool so I could work with them easily.  Trust me, I've had a simple two layer cake completely collapse on me because I tried to work with it too soon!


Volcano, trees and lots of stones ready to go onto the cake.
Different sections up close.
The view from the top.
I love baking and decorating, even more so when everything goes to plan and everybody is happy with the result.  I put a lot of love and effort into everything I make, and when people appreciate that, it means a lot to me.

Have a happy Monday and a great week ahead.

Peace & Gypsy Love

Claire
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Title Image

Title Image