Tuesday 2 September 2014

Setting Goals

My next challenge this year, is Sani Stagger Half Marathon.  This is in exactly 12 weeks and 4 days!
I expect to be fully functional on my feet, and able to jog in 2 weeks time (holding thumbs)!!  Leaving just 10 weeks actual training... Eek!!


I ran this race 2 years ago with little to no training, and swore never to do that again!!  21.1km, most of which is downhill on a dirt road is grueling on your knees and ankles, never mind your thighs and calves.  This is the one race where no matter your fitness level, you will want to cry every time you sit down, or climb stairs, or move for a few days afterwards!

The winding road down the mountain.
Thankfully, I am significantly lighter now than I was then, which will make training that much easier.  But when I look at that 10 week period and see where I am and where I need to be, I cringe.  So, I am breaking up the challenge into smaller goals to meet along the way.  These seem less scary and more manageable , making the ultimate goal just one small step from the last.

Race Profile
My list of tasks and goals for Sani Stagger 2014:
  1. Find a decent pair of trail running shoes, which won't cost me the earth (any suggestions would be most welcome).
  2. Go for a nice long walk, with no pain in my foot.
  3. A slow, steady jog.  Around 5km, not timed.
  4. Get into a routine of running 3 - 4 times a week.
  5. Toning exercises to be done 3 times a week (lots of lunges and squats to strengthen those legs!).
  6. Run 5km in less than 40 minutes.
  7. Run 8km.
  8. Run 8km in an hour (this took me 6 weeks to achieve on my ANW program, and would be a good race day pace).
  9. Run 10km.
  10. Run 15km.
Ten points to achieve in ten weeks.  I'm pretty sure I can manage that!  Somewhere in there it wouldn't hurt to reach my goal weight, but fitness is what I will be focusing on.

The Finish Line
What are your goals this year, and what are you doing to achieve them?

Peace & Love

Claire
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Title Image

Title Image