Friday 29 August 2014

New Beginnings

Can you believe, with the cold front having arrived just in time for the weekend, that Spring is just around the corner?!

Spring has always represented new beginnings and fresh starts, and it's today that I want to share with you the start of my weight loss journey.

Four years ago I ran a marathon.  My life was very social, very busy and very happy.  In the years since then, I started choosing my couch over my running shoes, over my friends, and over my life.  I was unhappy, and as a result of that I became terribly unhealthy too.  It took a long time for me to realise that enough was enough.  But I got there, and I'm so glad I did.

I came across the blog Heart of Iron, the story of a young lady, Gaelyn, who was left with drop foot after an operation.  Despite this, she lost 35kg's and set herself the goal of a half Ironman.  Definitely a must-read if you're looking for a little inspiration and motivation!  http://www.gaelynsheartofiron.blogspot.com/


Gaelyn has started her own 'weight loss and lifestyle caching business', A New Weigh, and at my moment of clarity was offering a 12 week Fat to Fit challenge.  At the very last minute, after a few email conversations with her, I signed up.  No further thought, no doubts, no question about it.  This was my opportunity and I took it!  I had the weekend to stock up the fridge with healthy food, and prepare myself for the 3 months ahead.

On the Sunday before Day One, I did the fitness test set out for us.  An hour run/walk and some other exercises.  Thankfully I did the exercises before the run, because otherwise I may have died trying!  I don't even think I got to 15 push ups!!  Everything was a great effort.  After jogging/walking for an hour I actually phoned someone to fetch me from where I had got to!  There was just no way I could get any further (I had only gone just over 6km's).

What sort of food we ate on the diet?  Good, clean food! It's not difficult, no unusual ingredients or difficult recipes.  We got a list of all allowed foods - and if it's not on the list, you cannot have it!  Simple as that!  This also got me back to cooking every night, something that had become just another chore in life, that I had previously loved doing.  But I got creative, got inspired and started loving being in the kitchen again.

ANW Approved!! Source

What I loved more than that, was running again.  I cannot describe the feelings I got from setting off on a run from home, which starts with an awesome downhill.  And even the feeling I got every time I went back up that hill to get home.  I'll admit the first few times were tough, I was out of breath, hot, sweaty, and very uncomfortable.  But every single time I ran a little further before having to walk.  Every single time I felt elated when I got to the top.  Every single time my muscles burned on the way up, I imagined my butt getting smaller and smaller and it kept me going.

In my first week I lost almost 3kg's!  It felt awesome!!  And each following week I continued to lose kilogram after kilogram, and with each one, I could feel myself blossoming, my confidence growing and I was finally returning to the happy and healthy person I once was.

Other than the diet plan, and updated workouts every two weeks, Gaelyn set us little challenges along the way to help us understand our worth (at any weight), to appreciate our good points and to enjoy the little moments in life.

We also had a whatsapp group with all the girls doing the challenge.  On a bad day, these girls were therapy, and on a good day, cheer leaders.  Now my close friends know the level of my irrational disdain for whatsapp groups, but I knew that I would need support along the way so I stuck it out, got used to it, and now I still miss having those girls being present every day.  I'm not about to jump into every group conversation I can find, but I did love that group (although I was definitely one of the quieter members).

A New Weigh is not just another diet, it is a lifestyle adjustment.  Up until just before my operation, I had lost over 15kg's.  Unfortunately after surgery I have not been able to stick to the program, so have put on a sneaky kilogram or two.  But I know that as soon as I can, I'll be eating the right stuff and doing the exercise I can, and I know it will work!  I don't have too much to go before I reach my goal weight, and I cannot wait to share with you all when I have.

Before and After - I never thought I'd show anyone these pictures, but I'm so damn proud of them!!
You don't expect your face to change quite so much, it's incredible!!

At the halfway mark, my fitness test results were definitely a lot better.  I ran exactly 8km, which I was very happy with, and was hoping to be able to do 10km by the time the 12 weeks were up.  Unfortunately my foot had other plans and started getting incredibly painful 2 weeks before the final fitness test.  But I plan to get back out there as soon as possible after recovery.  I have a big goal coming up at the end of November!  More on that another time.

For more details about A New Weigh, contact Gaelyn.  Let her help you transform your life!! 
www.anewweigh.co.za or www.facebook.com/anewweigh


Have a happy weekend.  Keep safe and warm.

Peace & Love

Claire
xx

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this post. Well done on what you have achieved, you look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so incredibly proud of you Claire- WELL DONE!!! Now that you foot is healing up it's go go go! What an inspiration you are xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gae! That means so very much. Yip, just a couple more weeks and I'll be ready to go!! Xx

      Delete

Title Image

Title Image