Thursday 7 August 2014

When the real holiday began...

Unfortunately due to our very delayed arrival in Harare, we didn't get to see much of it - pretty much just the Pick 'n Pay, bottle store and a pizza place... So at least we got to the important parts.

After a very chilled and early night, we got up early the next morning to head to Lake Kariba.  The houseboat which was our final destination: "What a Pleasure" and indeed it was!  All I can say is that if you haven't been to Kariba, trust me, you underestimate the sheer size of it.  There are times when you look around and all you can see is water.  It is breathtaking.  When you can see land, you get spectacular sightings of elephants, hippos, a few crocodiles and plenty of bird life.


In 2005 I worked at a game lodge in Sabi Sands for a few months and was spoiled for choice when it came to game viewing opportunities.  That kind of life takes root in your soul.  I'm the type of person who would stop to take a better look at an impala or zebra, the more common animals others would pass by.  Any chance I get to witness animals in their natural habitat, I'll take.  The fact that I live in a greener part of the city and sometimes see a buck or a mongoose on my way home makes my heart soar.  My point being, that floating across the water, watching elephants and hippos just go about their day, was extraordinary!


We had three crew on board.  Goodson, the Captain; Maxon, the Chef and Moses the deck hand.  All three absolutely fantastic in their post.  The service received was akin to that of any local 5-star hotel, and the food Maxon prepared was excellent.

If you're a very activity driven holiday kinda person, then don't go on a houseboat! But for those that want to relax, read a book or do a cross word and just enjoy doing nothing, Dolce Far Niente as the Italians would say (I love that phrase), then a houseboat is the ideal holiday.  For me, it was perfect!


Fishing is about the only actual activity on offer, and we did plenty of it.  Most days we were not so lucky, but on the last evening, all the girls and one of the guys decided to make one last go of it and came back with a net bursting at the seems!!  Poor Goodson, who had driven the boat didn't get a moment to even sip his Coke between baiting our lines and taking off the fish.  Shrieks of joy echoed along the water, attracting the attention of some hippos who got quite close.  It was a joyous occasion and we watched the sun go down as we sped off back to the houseboat to enjoy fresh fish for dinner.


The horrid bus trip forgotten, reality miles away, Kariba is a really special place.  Sleeping under the stars on the deck, waking up to spectacular sunrises, the call of fish eagles throughout the day.  And of course some wine, some gin and perhaps even a raucous game of Kings, makes for the most incredible adventure.



Oh the nostalgia... That was the story to be told before I head into theatre tomorrow to have my neuroma (now named Harry) removed.  Can't say I'll miss him much.  Have a happy weekend everyone!  I'm just hoping for good meds!

Peace
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Title Image

Title Image