Friday 21 November 2014

My Yoga Practice

After a little searching, I finally found a yoga class in Pietermaritzburg that didn't require a gym membership to sign up.  That was at the beginning of this year.

Up until a few weeks before my op, when my foot was in too much pain to put any pressure at all on the ball of it, I went to classes religiously every week.

I loved the challenge, I loved feeling I was getting stronger and better and most of all, I loved the feeling of calm and being present in the moment that each class gave me.



Some classes were difficult, some things I couldn't do at first, even the easier stuff.  But we all have to start somewhere, and thankfully our class had a lot of beginners, so we were all in the same boat.

About 2 months after my op I returned to yoga, and although was no where near where I left off, I could still feel strength in my body, and I have worked hard to maintain it.

Yesterday I did a shoulder stand without using momentum to get my legs up in the air.  I used my core and slowly lifted them from the floor to having my knees bent in front of my face, and finally to straight up in the air.  It felt good, awesome in fact, that I trusted my body could get there and it did.

We have also been playing around with some headstand preparation, and I can now get my torso up with my legs bent, balancing on my own (it's best to start out by a wall so not to injure yourself).  It's incredible to be upside down and not leaning against anything!  When I lift my legs I fall over backwards, but that's besides the point.  I'll get there!

That second step is where I'm at right now.
Image: source

At the start of each practice we are told to set an intention, for the practice itself and also for going out into the world afterwards.  I like to always include "to have fun" or "to enjoy myself" into this intention, because that is what I am there for really.  I spend a lot of the class smiling away to myself like a mad woman, but that's ok.

Yesterday was a particularly good class for me.  A lot of hip work, which for some reason I'm pretty good at, but it gave me a lot of reasons to smile, and a few reasons to giggle silently to myself. Bare in mind that yoga is a practice for clearing your mind and focusing on each pose and being in the present, while I share with you:

Thoughts I Have in Yoga Class

1.  "What should I have for dinner?  I wonder if that lettuce in the fridge is still ok, or should I go to the supermarket on the way home?"

2.  "Oh hey, my back just clicked!  That felt good :)"

3.  "Wow!  That chick is really good at that.  I wonder how long she's been doing yoga"

4.  "I could actually bite my toenails if I really wanted to.  Not that I want to... But if I did, I could totally reach"

5.  "I wonder if I bit my toenails as a kid.  I don't remember doing it, and damn, I hope not!  Gross!"

6.  "Ow!  That hurts!  Ok, just breath, she can't make us hold this pose for much longer... surely... come on!  Please can we relax now?  Ahh... finally!  Thank you!!"

7. " That's a nice shirt/shoes/*insert random clothing article*, I wonder where she got it"

8.  "If I keep my running pace under 8 minute per kilometer, I could easily finish a half marathon in under 3 hours."

9.  "I wonder what everyone else is thinking about."

10.  "Ok, focus on the present, just be in the moment... Perhaps I should make plans for Friday night... No, concentrate!  Focus on your breathing... In... Out... In... Out... I wonder what other people are doing this weekend?  Dammit!!"

Needless to say, my mind doesn't really do quiet.  And when there is a brief moment when I get it all to shut down, it's like there's just space for more thoughts and they come flooding back.  It's a losing battle really!

Source

Wishing you a happy weekend, with perhaps just a few peaceful moments in your own mind.

Namaste

Claire
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Title Image

Title Image